The NYS Climate Smart Communities (CSC) program provides a framework for municipalities to successfully implement mitigation and adaptation measures to address climate change. Toolkits, technical assistance, and funding opportunities are available to accelerate the adoption of climate smart actions.
In addition, a robust, multi-tier certification program was created to provide a roadmap for municipalities to effectively reduce their greenhouse gas emissions and become recognized leaders in sustainable development and climate adaptation. Of the 18 certified Climate Smart Communities in NYS, Westchester is home to three certified communities, which have demonstrated their commitment to climate leadership: the Town of Cortlandt (Bronze), Village of Dobbs Ferry (Silver), and Town of Mamaroneck (Bronze).
- Get started on the certification process here: https://climatesmart.ny.gov/actions-certification/getting-started/
- Find the full list of action items here: https://climatesmart.ny.gov/actions-certification/actions/
- View the condensed action checklist here: https://climatesmart.ny.gov/fileadmin/csc/documents/CSCC-ActionChecklist-6-6-2018.pdf
Funding is available for mitigation, adaptation, or certification projects through the DEC Climate Smart Communities Grant, which is currently accepting applications through July 27, 2018. For more information on the current CSC grant opportunity, view the condensed fact sheet or full grant description below:
- CSC Grant – Fact Sheet: https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/administration_pdf/cscfactst18.pdf
- CSC Grant – Request for Applications: https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/administration_pdf/cscrfa(1).pdf