Making sure municipalities are equipped with the policy models, best practices, zoning and planning resources to successfully manage the introduction of large-scale solar installations is a priority for Sustainable Westchester. To that end, SW collaborated with the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA), Pace Land Use Law Center, and Abundant Efficiency to organize the workshop “Managing Solar in Your Community” this past December.
The event was well attended by municipal authorities, as well as zoning and sustainability board members from across Westchester County and beyond, and we were grateful that Mount Kisco, Ossining and Mamaroneck, three municipalities that have moved further along the learning curve with active projects and code updates, were willing to share their experience in the panel session.
Below we have compiled a number of items (model law documents, presentations, etc.) which we hope should be helpful in navigating this new aspect of development of clean energy for our communities.
The resources and tools here will allow you to:
- Explore community solar as an option for accelerating renewable energy / solar adoption.
- Provide a detailed overview of NYSERDA’s Model Solar Law.
- Understand the Municipal Solar Procurement Toolkit.
- Understand NYS Property Tax Law in relation to solar (i.e. PILOT, or
- Payment in Lieu of Taxes, etc.)
- Highlight municipal case studies and best practices within Westchester County.
- Connect you with channels for ongoing guidance and technical assistance.
Resources and tools here include:
- NY Solar Guidebook for Local Governments
- Municipal Solar Procurement Toolkit
- Municipal Solar Event Welcome Presentation
- NYSERDA Municipal Solar Presentation
- Municipal Case Studies Presentation
- Municipal Solar Event Agenda
- Municipal Solar Event Flyer
- Mamaroneck Community Solar RFP
- Mount Kisco Community Solar RFP
- Mount Kisco Solar Law
- Ossining Solar Law
- Municipal Solar Workshop Video – a) Full download link b) streaming link
The NY-Sun team (within NYSERDA) is ready to work one-on-one with municipal governments to address solar permitting, zoning, property taxes, SEQR, or any other related issue. Municipal authorities can request free technical assistance here or email questions to email@example.com. Don’t hesitate to take advantage of this resource
If any workshop attendee would like to retroactively request Continuous Education Credits from NYSERDA for their presence at “Managing Solar in Your Community on Dec. 14th, 2018, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.