Lower Your Carbon Footprint.
Save Energy. Earn Cash
- Take Simple Energy Actions & Reduce Usage
- Generate Savings
- Respond to GridRewards Events & Earn Cash
- Average households can earn over $100/year in cash
SIGN UP IN A FEW EASY STEPS
2. Know your ConEd account number and be sure that you have online access to your ConEd account before you get going. (To complete your enrollment in the GridRewards program & earn cash, your ConEd account needs to be linked.)
- If you do not have a smartphone or tablet. Use this link to enroll in GridRewards on your desktop. Following sign-up, the application can be reached here.
- Having trouble enrolling? Preview the step-by-step sign-up tutorial here.
How Does It Work?
1. Download the GridRewards app.
2. You reduce electricity when the app sends you an alert.
- These are the most valuable times to save electricity. They often happen on a few hot summer afternoons, for a two to four hour period.
- Use the handy checklist to know what actions to take.
3. GridRewards sends you a check in the mail!
- If you save electricity on all of the GridRewards events, you’ll earn your maximum possible amount of money. GridRewards will send you a check in the mail for the amount you earned.
- Where does the money come from? Participating utility companies want to incentivize customers to reduce electricity at peak demand times to avoid running old, inefficient power plants.
*GridRewards is open to residents, small to medium businesses, houses of worship, clubs, non municipal organizations and commercial accounts (any size) within Con Edison territory. Enrolled in the Con Edison Smart Thermostat program are ineligible for participation.
Refer A Friend
Give $10, get $10
Have your friends, neighbors and contacts use your referral code when they create an account. When they save electricity during GridRewards events, they will earn $10 and so will you. Everyone wins, including the planet!
There’s no limit to how many friends you can invite. Groups looking to use GridRewards referral fee as a fundraiser for their local group, please contact Lauren@SustainableWestchester.org or materials and assistance.
Small Change Adds Up. Hear from your Westchester neighbors about their experience with GridRewards.
A Closer Look
Launched in Spring 2021, GridRewards is the first personalized energy/carbon intelligence and revenue-generating software for residential and small commercial energy users, leveraging secure integrations into Con Edison’s new Advanced Metering Infrastructure
- Grid-Interactive energy revenue-generating opportunities (“GridRewards”) for reducing usage at the highest carbon intensity hours
- Personalized energy efficiency insights and recommended actions and real electricity, natural gas, and carbon usage tracking and performance data
- Smart thermostat control and optimization
- Real-time electric grid carbon intensity
Logical Buildings, a energy software developer, has created the GridRewards platform and an app to track usage in close to real time. As an aggregator, Logical Buildings collects revenues from the utility’s Demand Response programs and dispenses the majority of the revenues realized through participation in announced Demand Response events to the consumers.
So how does it work? There are a few times during the summer when you can earn cash back by taking simple actions, like raising your AC set points for a couple of hours. GridRewards will notify you when these events occur. While it’s good to save electricity year-round, GridRewards events are so important that your utility company is willing to pay you real money to reduce at peak times.
Why? When your utility company needs to meet your region’s peak electricity demand, they spin up older, less-efficient power plants that cost more money to maintain and release more carbon into the air per unit of electricity.
Where does the money come from? Con Edison wants to pay you to reduce electricity at peak demand times to reduce stress on the grid and avoid running the most polluting, carbon intense, power plants.
Who’s excluded? Participants enrolled in Smart Usage Rewards with Honeywell, Nest or Emerson Smart thermostats are ineligible.
In 2021, the GridRewards community prevented more than 200 tons of carbon from entering the atmosphere. That’s the same as:
- Taking more than 11,000 homes completely off the grid during GridRewards events
- Taking 15,000 cars off the road for a day
- Offsetting more than 500,000 miles driven
More good news!
Donations to Environmental Groups!
Information for Building Owners, Property Managers and Homeowners Associations
Attention property managers – we have valuable information to share on how to help your residents combat record high energy bills. #GridRewards, a cutting-edge climate tech product that pays residents/tenants of buildings for reducing energy usage and cutting carbon emissions.